Muslims & Christians take steps towards reconciliation
Recently, a group of Muslims visited Christian widows and orphans in north western Nigeria and donated food, clothing and school items as part of efforts to enhance peaceful coexistence among different faiths. “I can’t believe they came and visited me,” said Judy Ugwu, a mother of four who lives in Kaduna state in north western Nigeria. “They have given me enough food and clothes. I want to forgive every Muslim who has wronged me in any way.”Ugwu, 38, who is a Christian, lost her husband early this year when gunmen dressed in military uniforms and armed with AK47 rifles, machetes and sticks attacked her village of Kajuru and killed more than 60 people. She accused the majority Hausa-Fulani tribe, who are predominantly Muslim and herders of cattle, for brutally murdering her husband. “I had vowed never to forgive them,” she said. “They wanted to finish us (non-Muslims) during elections so that their people can ascend to power, but God protected his people.”
There has been constant conflict in northern Nigeria for decades, pitting the majority Muslim population against the minority Christian population. In Kaduna state, the Hausa-Fulani tribe makes up 60% of the population, and the non-Muslim minorities who are mainly farmers make up the remaining 40%. The minority Christian populations have for decades accused Muslims of using elections to control political and economic power in the state by only electing Muslim leaders.
(Extracted from religionnews.com)